About Scott Gabehart
Scott is a Certified Business Appraiser through the Institute of Business Appraisers (and CVA and BCA through NACVA and the ISBA) serves as Vice-President in charge of valuation services for the firm BizEquity, LLC, having evaluated, appraised and/or sold over 800 businesses since 1992. Specializing in the valuation of smaller, privately-held and owner-operated businesses across the United States, his experience includes work in areas such as matrimonial dissolution, SBA loans , bankruptcy, estate and gift taxation, ESOP formation and administration, partnership disputes and transaction/strategic planning. He is a published author, former MBA faculty member teaching private firm valuation with work experience as a Corporate Auditor, Business Broker and Middle-Market M&A Specialist during the past 25 years.
- Prepared analysis of current valuation requirements as of March 2014 per SBA’s SOP 50-10 policy document which was published in the Coleman Report and distributed among industry participants. (titled “SBA, SOP and Business, Real Estate and Going Concern Appraisals: Controversy or Opportunity”).
- Speaker in Coleman Publishing Audio Teleconference regarding changes to SBA’s SOP50-10(5) document. Also gave audio conference dealing with business valuation to SBA lenders.
- Prepared and presented Institute of Business Appraisers/NACVA-sponsored Webinar titled “Business Valuation and the SBA: A New Era”, dealing with business valuations related to SBA acquisition financing requirements on 10-24-08 (and again on 9-28-09). Asked to prepare second article which was published in the IBA Newsletter in June, 2009. Also elected to IBA’s Education Committee.
- Gave presentation to Illinois Society of CPA’s on business valuation for SBA loans (Chicago, IL, 2009).
- Worked with lenders, other appraisers and, importantly, SBA officials in Washington D.C. to modernize the business valuation component of SOP50-10(5). Assisted in the development of worksheets for lenders and SBA personnel pertaining to the evaluation of change of ownership loans and appraisals. Hired to provide valuation training to SBA change of ownership underwriting personnel in CA and KY.
- Interviewed by the Wall Street Journal, Business Week and Forbes within the past 3 years and published article in Collier’s Magazine titled “The Democratization of Data” (April, 2012)
- Participated in multiple presentations to many of the largest data and financial services companies in the US today in relation to BizEquity and its goal of “democratizing valuation knowledge” for the small business community.
Education and Experience
- Degrees in Economics/German (B.A.) from Illinois State University and International Management (M.I.M./M.B.A.) from Thunderbird (AGSIM). PhD coursework in Economics at Arizona State University.
- Certified Business Appraiser (CBA) through Institute of Business Appraisers (IBA) since 2000 and Member, IBA Education Committee during 2010 to 2012.
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) through the National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA) and Business Certified Appraiser (BCA) through the International Society of Business Analysts (ISBA) and appointed Chair of the SBA Valuation Issues Committee for ISBA.
- Vice-President of Valuation Services and Support for www.BizEquity.com (affiliated since 2008). Developed online business valuation engine “in the cloud” for use by business owners and business advisors and authored numerous position papers (see Collier’s Magazine) and blog pieces.
- Author of “Upstart Guide to Buying, Valuing and Selling Your Business” (Dearborn Financial Publishing) and “The Business Valuation Book” (AMA and Amacom Publishing/Fall 2002). Columnist covering business appraisal and valuation issues for the Arizona Journal of Real Estate and Business
- Faculty member at Thunderbird (AGSIM), teaching "Valuation, Sale and Acquisition of the Private Firm” (up to 4 courses per year) and special Winterim course through January, 2006 covering Private Equity Valuation to MBA/graduate students. Former full-time (4 years) and adjunct faculty of Economics (Maricopa Community Colleges). Taught MBA level accounting/finance/economics at University of Phoenix, including Managerial Economics, Managerial Finance and Management Accounting/Intermediate Accounting
- Member of National Center for Employee Ownership (NCEO) and recent member of ESOP Association.
- Corporate auditor in the United States, Europe (Schering-Plough), Asia (Motorola); conducted financial/operational audits of key subsidiaries. Attended the Arthur Andersen School of Auditing and Peat Marwick Mitchell Auditing Boot Camp (now KPMG). Industry Specialist for Accounting/Tax Practices (BRG)
- Licensed real estate agent (inactive) since 1996 and former Series 7 and 63 securities license holder
<< back to top